My family’s variant of the filipino classic. slightly sweet, deliciously savory & satisfying to the core
4 – 5 lbs chicken thighs, boneless skinless
3 spoonfuls soy sauce*
2 spoonfuls apple cider vinegar*
1 1/2 heaping tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 heaping tbs brown sugar
1/2 tbs whole black peppercorns
6 bay leaves
- Quick rinse chicken, place in pot & cover.
- Thoroughly cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat. Stir in soy sauce & apple cider vinegar.
- In center of pot, clear of chicken, add minced garlic & brown sugar.
- Sprinkle in peppercorns & bay leaves. Stir mixture.
- Increase heat to medium-low**, cover & simmer until juices are mostly gone (~30 minutes, +/- a few). Stir occasionally.
*use a large cooking spoon. For ~5 lbs meat, use 3 spoonfuls soy sauce : 2 spoonfuls vinegar. Adjust amount accordingly for smaller or larger meat portions.
**increase heat to high & uncover after 20-ish minutes if you desire a thicker sauce.